Submitted: 02-04-2008 by Joel Hollis

My wife and I have paddled our 10 year old 17 ft Pakcanoe on many Alaska rivers. The trips were all three to five weeks long, for a total of 5 or 6 thousand miles.
The boat is everything you would want in a wilderness canoe. It easily carries five weeks of food and gear. Is extremely dry (we do use a spray cover) as the bow floats over waves rather than through waves. Extremely maneuverable. We used to use an old Town Tripper and the pakcanoe handles as well as or better and is a much dryer boat.

The boat is light about 52 lbs. The boat slides over rocks much better than ABS and does not abraid as much. The skin is easy to patch, we have developed pin hole leaks in the bottom from sharp rocks especially when we had to drag the boat down the Anniuk river for 60 KM because of low water conditions. But the boat is so easy to patch it is no big deal.

We have had to replace one rib, but we did not even know that it was broken until the end of the trip when we took the boat apart to mail home.

On all our trips we have mailed our boat to the float plane base/or outfitter, and at the end of the trip we mailed it back home. The boat fits inside the plane rather than on the floats. This has saved us thousands of dollars in float plane fees, excess baggage charges and rental fees.

I can't say enough about the boat!