Submitted: 01-31-2008 by kbf

Wilderness Systems 180 Pro Fiberglass: This is a follow-up on my original review.
I have paddled this boat in many conditions, wind, waves and surf and I find the hull design and features to be very good. But buyer bewares the cockpit coaming and the thigh braces are very weak. This would be ok if you never capsize. The thigh braces are not designed to take the pressures of rolling and bracing.

The coaming and thigh braces are very thin and brittle fiberglass. The cockpit coaming has separated from my boat and the thigh braces have cracked. This area needs to be beefed up to match the durability of other British design kayaks.

I have attempted to use the Wilderness Systems lifetime warranty, I even wrote the company president Sue Rechner. After 2 months and counting I havenít received a reply. I donít feel safe in the boat so I havenít been paddling. I regret buying my Tempest and would not recommend this boat to anyone.

Compare the thigh braces and coaming of the Tempest 180 and any other boat you may be thinking of buying before you make your kayak purchase. Good Luck.