Submitted: 01-29-2008 by JP

We purchased a 340x and a 380X one each for my spouse and I in 2007. We are experienced paddlers with canoes and hard shell sea kayaks. While the Sea Eagles are sold as kayaks, they are really more like an inflatable Canoes (in terms of load carrying) that you paddle like a kayak, and which behaves like a raft.

In flatwater any substantial wind will seriously affect your progress and while this may be true of all water craft the effects are really serious with the sea eagle. We purchased the boats for long (read 7+ days) treks in rivers of Canadian wilderness. The boats are great for that. Have taken them in Class 3 rapids fully loaded, while you do get wet, the boat rides the rapids just like a raft. No more long portages. One benefit of these inflating crafts is that they load on aircraft at a fraction of the cost (or impossible for) hard shell watercraft. They pack inside your vehicle and no wind drag. We plan more river trips in 2008.

I agree with most other positive comments on this site (regarding comfort, paddling, skeg etc). When loaded with equipment in flat water with chop the self bailing plugs usually do not work very well.

NOCQUA Adventure Gear: