Submitted: 01-25-2008 by spyskys

Took my Kokatat Storm Cag out for the first time last weekend on a chilly Seattle Sunday and I must say - this thing is ingenious! First I must add that I was paddling my wife's NDk Explorer LV while she was out of town and her Snapdragon sprayskirt didn't fit me but it wasn't a problem.

The storm cag has an adjustable shock-corded skirt that fits over the cockpit coaming so it fit this small cockpit with ease. The Cag is intended to fit over everything you would wear on the water and prevent heat loss in wet marine environments. Also, it is one size fits all so you can give to a friend in dire situations. The Cag is meant to fit over your drysuit and PFD and is sized to that for anyone be you small or large. I have the Gore-Tex version not the nylon one. I haven't seen the nylon one so I can't comment.

The G-Tex Cag is well thought out. It has a convenient fleece lined hand warmer in front and a huge pocket that swallowed up some snacks and essentials. Also, behind the hand warmer is a velcro opening that allows you to access the pockets of the PFD with it on. There is even a zippered- pocket on the left sleeve with a D-ring to tether something important. Visibility is great in this Cag as it is safety orange and has some reflectors strategically placed on the sleeves and hood.

Also, I must comment on how well this Cag kept the water out. Since I wasn't wearing a sprayskirt I relied on the Cag to keep the sea out of my cockpit and that it did. After a long day on the water practicing all kinds of sculls and braces it didn't allow a drop in through the side. I will not be on the water without this Cag, it has become one of my essentials.