Submitted: 01-23-2008 by Reefmonkey
I bought my first kayak, an OK Frenzy, in June 2000. That same day I bought a Harmony Estuary TAP in aluminum as the paddle for it. at 54 oz, it earned the nickname "The War Club", now sharpied on one blade, but when it is your first paddle, you don't know any better. Years later, I picked up a Harmony Adventure TAP in fiberglass, at REI Garage Sale for $19, and I really understood what people who complain about heavy aluminum paddles are talking about.

The Adventure, at 36 oz, feels so much lighter than the Estuary. That, along with its asymmetrical blade, makes for much smoother, more comfortable paddling. At normal price of $55, the Adventure in fiberglass makes a great entry-level paddle for those just getting into the sport, or those who have finally decided to shed their aluminum war clubs but don't want to break the bank with a carbon paddle.

Katadyn: