Submitted: 05-15-2000 by Lex

I only have a little to add the Chuck's description, he did a good job conveying the Necky Pinta's feel. The Pinta is one of the few boats that is REALLY made for us big guys. Some of the so called big guy boats really don't fit. For example, the seat in the Sealution XL is narrower than my hips. The pressure on my femurs becomes painful in less than an hour. On the other hand, the seat in the Pinta needs to be padded a little to fit me perfectly. I guarantee there was at least one person well over six feet/ 250 lb. in the test crew on the Pinta. I am 6' 4" and about 260, I honestly think the Pinta was designed for someone my size or even a little bigger. It is pretty clear nobody my size was on the test team for the Sealution XL. I do not mean this to pick on Wilderness Systems, the Sealution XL is a good boat for the "kinda big" paddler but the cockpit opening (smaller than the distance from my butt to my knees, narrower than my thighs) and the seat tell me it was not built for really big people. If you wear an XLT or XXL shirt like me try the Necky Pinta before you buy anything. It is not the only good big guy boat (I have heard good things about the PWS Thunderbird and I'm sure there are a few others I haven't found) but it is one of very few really good boats for people over about 6' 2" and 225 lb.