Submitted: 01-09-2008 by lunarkayaker

I purchased a Perception Sundance 12.5 in the summer of 2007. This was my first kayak.
This is a great beginnerís boat. It has a large cockpit and is very user-friendly. I used thin, inexpensive foam kneepads to help hold my knees firmly to the deck. While the Perception is a recreational kayak and isnít "worn" as snugly as one wears a sea kayak, the simple addition of the foam pads allowed me great measure of bodily control.

I took the Sundance on everything from open rivers to reservoirs, to small creeks. The Sundance had little flotation and wasnít truly seaworthy, so I supplemented the included foam block and stern hatch with additional buoyant material.

The Sundance is particularly good at surfing power boat wakes. While I was, of course, displeased and often angered at the inconsiderate, illegal, dangerous manner in which power boats and jet skis were operated near me, the Sundance just rode right over their wakes.

I really abused the Sundance. It is beat up and banged up, but still going. I have moved up to a sea kayak, but will keep my Sundance. I plan to use it as a companion boat. I can let one of my friends or colleagues use it and introduce him or her to kayaking.

I may outfit it with outriggers for fishing or hunting, it is a stable boat. I will definitely use it as a "pack boat." Native Americans and early North American trappers frequently towed one canoe with another. The second boat-the pack boat-was typically filled with skins and equipment. I can definitely envision towing my Sundance up a creek behind my sea kayak, carrying with my bow, blowgun, turtle nets, atlatl, bolas, etc. and then towing it out filled with game, shells and skins. The Sundance has two channels in the hull which allow it to track very well; I foresee no problems towing it.

The Sundance is a great kayak for its intended purpose: beginning kayaking or utility use. It is a stable, fun boat that will always make you smile. If you buy one and develop your skills such that you need a sea kayak, it makes a perfect kayak to introduce others to this wonderful activity. Highly recommended.