Submitted: 12-12-2007 by Chuck54sd

Wind Paddle – “Adventure” Mk I model is a 9 out of 10 for pure fun.
This is a very clever kayak sail that is simple to use and totally portable from kayak to kayak. Since it has no mounting hardware to worry about, I just clip it to my side deck cords or clips and if the wind comes up... I “pop” it up and I am sailing. If the wind goes down... I fold it in half and store it flat under the deck cords. Works best in winds over 10mph.

I have had this puppy for 3 months now in 25+ mph winds and I fly faster than I could possibly paddle. The real fun comes when you are going the same speed as the waves and you feel a surfing effect under the boat as you catch a wave.

I find the further forward towards the bow the sail is .... the more wind I can catch. Since I don’t use the paddle when I am under sail, I recommend you use a paddle leash, since you will need both hands to control the sail, especially when catching wind 90 degrees to the side. I also strongly recommend this for kayaks with rudders.

The biggest Kayak I have tried this on is my Wilderness Systems “Northstar” 18.5 foot, 95 lb tandem. My girlfriend ran the sail in the front while I paddled in the back and ran the rudder. We were going so fast that my paddling was slowing us down.... so I lifted my paddle and decided to “enjoy the ride”.

Although I still enjoy a calm day on the water.... I really look forward to a windy day now !!