Submitted: 12-11-2007 by W3bb

It looks like I'm writing the 15th review for the Rush, and I feel a little redundant in doing so because there isn't a single rating under 8-of-10. My lover and I tried kayaking one time with sit-on-top kayaks, and we really enjoyed being out on the water. We immediately started shopping around, and ultimately decided against the sit-on-top style, and the Rush seemed like a good one (especially after we did some "homework" reading the reviews for many models here at paddling.net).

Our biggest concern was size because we live in a small apartment. From what we could tell, anything much shorter than the Rush was basically a whitewater kayak, and we were told that taking one of those on a lake would be like paddling a snowplow. Our only experience so far has been leisurely days on the lake (no rivers), and we've been pleased. So, we bought two Rush kayaks, and with all the related expenditures (tax/shipping, life jackets, paddles, and wall-hanging straps for storage) I think we spent a little over $1000 for a pair of kayaks - not bad at all if you're going to use them a lot.

As far as use goes, the seat is quite comfortable, but the leg room is probably insufficient for anyone much over 6' tall. I do manage to use the foot pegs if I'm trying to cover some ground(?) pretty quickly, but they make my legs a little uncomfortable after a while. Otherwise I just leave my legs stretched out inside the cockpit without using the pegs, which is good for comfort but less-good for fast paddling.

All in all, I doubt that you can get a 'yak that's this good all the way around, especially for the price. Tracking is good, speed is good, utility/storage is good, carry-ability is good (awkward-but-doable for single-person transportation), etc. The boat is pretty comfortable for fishing, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to paddle and have a line in the water at the same time. I do recommend that you go spend the $20 on a dry-bag though, because burritos just aren't as good after they've been in the lake.

Cache Lake Camping Foods: