Submitted: 12-07-2007 by fz

I've paddled the Revision quite a few times this past summer and now into the fall in Northern California. It is a long sit-on-top for kayaking, but that makes it faster to catch waves.

If you're just beginning, the Revision is very forgiving on small waves. It doesn't take much to keep the boat going where you want it to. Edging into the wave to make the boat carve is only a matter of shifting your weight a bit.

I took it out a few days when the surf got fairly big (8 - 9' swell). I caught a few waves on a point break and wave flying. The Revision was surprisingly smooth on a fast wave. I got a few late take-offs and found that it didn't pearl as I thought it would, and that it did a bottom turn without much work.

The only reason I wouldn't give this boat a 10 is that the foot 'grooves' aren't very well designed to use your feet for pressure. They slip off. They need some sort of bar or brace across the footwell that can be adjusted.

If you are a larger person this is a great sit-on-top for surfing. Very subtle changes make the boat turn on a wave. I would suggest putting the fin on if you want to get onto some larger waves. With a seatback, knee straps and some sort of way to keep your feet on, it performs very well in small or large waves.