Submitted: 12-05-2007 by JS

Bought my Delta Kayaks 15.5 about 2 months ago and havenít had a chance to try in lot of different conditions. Iíve had it in large reservoirs and small lakes and in mild wind and waves other than big power boat waves.

My first impression is as follows; itís the most stable kayak Iíve ever paddled, it gives the impression that you couldnít tip it over. It handles waves great, or at least the ones Iíve been in so far. Going over large power boat wakes is a cake walk, straight on or even at almost a parallel angle. Iím a large man at 5í11Ē and around 250 pounds and itís one of if not the most comfortable kayak Iíve ever sat in.

As far as speed, itís hard to tell, I donít have a GPS so I donít have much to judge the speed by, it does seem to accelerate pretty quick though. The fit and finish is very good and the rudder system is really nice. I really like the rudder peddles, kind of like a gas paddle in a car. The kayak turns well with just a little lean and it tracks well also. If you stop paddling it only well glide for a short distant before it wants to turn left or right, and with the rudder down it glides straight. All and all I really am happy with my Delta. Iíd like to try in the ocean soon and see how it does there, I really have no doubt that it well perform fine.

This is only the second kayak Iíve owned, but Iíve paddled many different kayaks (friends and at kayak demos) and so far this is my favorite.

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: