Submitted: 12-01-2007 by TC - New Zealand

Sold my trusty Perception Swing fishing yak to upgrade to the Prowler Elite 4.5. Side by side this yak generally compares one for one to the Swing, with the Prowler being a little narrower and faster.

Likes: Plenty of room in the cockpit, good for the long hauls (I frequently do 30km round trips) Lots of attachment points, big rear well.

Dislikes: The front hatch should be replaced with a neoprene cover (I improved the leak here by replacing the rigid straps with some hefty elastic, but still dribbles inside. This yak needs some sort of foam wall inside to stop your stuff from sliding back in the hull - I spent 45minutes cursing whilst trying to extricate my rod that had jammed at the rear of the yak. The plastic in the cup-holder in mine was thin enough to flex with very little finger pressure - I am not too concerned about this as I was potting this up for a fish finder, but it came close to asking for another hull.
It needs a decent rear (leakproof) hatch.

Overall, I would put this hull on a par with the Swing and although I initially regretted selling the Swing, I think the Prowler will rapidly grow on me.