Submitted: 11-29-2007 by rickschuster

Thule Glide-n-Set works great on our Highlander to carry our 14'-8", 75 pound Nicky Manitou II tandem kayak. I can easily load and unload the kayak by myself, though I'm not terribly strong (though I am 6' tall, which helps). Using a bath mat set over the rear edge of the roof/rear hatch door, I can lift the front end of the kayak up onto the mat, then hold the kayak steady as I move back to the rear of the kayak still sitting on the ground, lift it and easily slide the kayak forward onto the front "Set" part of the rack, which grabs the kayak securely. Adjusting the position is as simple and pulling down on the rear of the kayak to lift the front end slightly and easily sliding it forward or back. It takes a little time to get the tie-down straps around it and get it secured, but I don't know of any way that it could be done more easily. I always use front and rear tie-down ropes with tightening ratchets, as well. The large size of both the front and rear parts of this set seem like they cause less warping of the polymer kayak that the wheels of a Hully-roller would, but I still try not to tighten the straps too much, or leave the kayak on for too long, especially in hot weather. I use the Thule rectangular bars with their roof mount system that easily mounts to the side-rails of the factory rack. Mounting and removing the entire rack is much easier than removing the Glide-n-Set components from the rack, so I just put the whole rack on only when using it. I also use Thule Port Side J-style carrier next to the Glide-N-Set to hold a 13' solo kayak.