Submitted: 11-21-2007 by BillTea

I bought this boat as an upgrade to the Victory Blast. I planned a trip to the Boundary Waters and wanted a little more boat to handle a bit more gear than I take on weekend fishing trips. The Perception floats over 400 pounds which leaves a lot of room for camping gear(I'm at 230#).

Tracking is excellent and the boat can move fairly quickly, tho' it's no racer. I paddled directly into a series of windy, choppy rainstorms in the BWCA and the boat handled them with ease, with only minor leakage under the spray skirt due to a slight flaw in the cockpit combing.

My only complaint is common to all kayaks, in that they are a little difficult to portage. The Perception is a bit of a tank to carry over distances. The answer to that has been a universal kayak yoke purchased from a store in Ely, MN (About $80.00 and worth every penny). With the yoke,the boat balances perfectly and makes portaging a whole lot easier.

Over all, the America 11 ain't no speed racer, no Lexus, nothing fancy. But it makes a more than adequate fishing platform and touring boat for large and small waters. A good investment!