Submitted: 11-14-2007 by heyjt

I wasn’t looking for a canoe but back in 1991, when a friend asked me if I would please “relieve” him of his 17-foot Canadienne, I jumped at the chance. He had it stored above his new car and when the Old Town fell on the mirror and broke the mirror, he wanted nothing to do with the green canoe. Needless to say, took it home that day I quickly fell in love with the boat. Within a week, I hauled the Canadienne up to Lake Arrowhead, California in front of our 1920 lodge on the water. The Old Town has just enough wood to give the boat a vintage look and feel yet not too much to create a maintenance nightmare (I used to own a 19-foot, 1948 wooden sailboat…).

Since I only use it during the fall, winter and spring, it has remained in relatively good shape. About every five years I spend a couple weekends stripping and re-varnishing the wood gunwales, thwarts and seats. I’ve recaned the seats twice. My favorite time to paddle is at sunrise when the air is cold and the lake is still and glassy. All I can hear is a light clap of water under the fiberglass and the peeps of coots and ducks.