Submitted: 11-13-2007 by Ugla

I have now paddled my Nordkapp LV since august and feel ready to write a review about it.
I am 182cm high and weigh about 80-85kg with paddle gear. My shoe size is UK size 8 or 9 I think. My boat I custom built and the forward bulkhead is moved aprox. 15 cm towards my feet. I have no footrests on the sides so I use the bulkhead as a footrest for now. The boat has keel reinforcement strip from the manufacturer. First of all the Nordkapp LV is a beautiful boat tho look at.

Volume:
Since I have a custom built kayak I get a lot of space in the forward compartment. There is no problem to take this boat on longer trips as long as you are willing to sacrifice some of the luxury goods. On weekend trips the space should give you the ability to carry what you need and more. The rear compartment is low and therefor a bit difficult to pack. I have experienced that it is easy to overload the front. Especially since I have a front compartment which is easy to pack big things in. Great with big hatches both fwd and stern. I have removed the sea padding to get a more comfortable position when paddling. Smaller paddlers would not have to do this.

Turning ability:
The boats shape makes this a very maneuverable boat. It reacts quickly to edging and combining edging with forward rudder makes it turn VERY hard. When leveling the boat after a turn it quickly gains a straight line again. I have not paddled any other boats that is that good at handling.

Surfing:
The boat is fast and catches waves from behind very good. Using stern rudder makes the boat great to control when surfing. The Nordkapp LV is a magnificent boat in rough sea. It handles good and takes head on waves great. Like all Nordkapp's it's a pleasure to paddle this boat in big waves. When having the sea from the side I usually give it a couple of cm of skeg and it then cruises in a straight line. I have had some hard landings on cliffs and "undersea" rocks and the keel reinforcement strip takes on most of the beating. I strongly recommend this for paddlers who like to take the boat out for rock-hopping and surfing at places with danger for smashing into rocks. When paddling into rocks under the water the hull flexes. This makes the chance for the gelcoat to crack smaller. I have no complaints about the finish of the boat. Can't find any errors.

The bulkheads are DRY! But the hatches are sometimes annoyingly hard to take on/off (cold fingers). But I rather want hatches that are hard to handle as long as there is no leak.

Summary:
The boat is quick and reacts excellent on different steering techniques. Excellent in rough sea.