Submitted: 11-09-2007 by Paul

I bought an old school boat cheap to see if I liked whitewater then soon began my search for the 'perfect' spud boat. I needed a boat that I would not outgrow as my skills improved. Comfort was another major issue because I spend long hours on the water running rivers, yet I wanted a boat short enough to easily fit in the back of my SUV and light enough to carry around easily.

I tested a lot of boats until the 2007 4Fun arrived and it has been everything I had hoped. Built on a stable platform, it spins, carves, and punches through holes on command, even when my commands are not as authoritative as they should be. I am at a bit over the recommended weight for this boat but it does not seem to cause any problems except perhaps reduce my speed a little. My skill level has not reached the point that I can comment on it as a play boat but more experienced paddlers have shown me the boat is capable of the moves, one of whom bought his own 4Fun soon after taking mine for a test paddle.

I personally prefer the light and simple outfitting and do not mind occasionally pulling the cords to re-adjust the backband. The boat comes standard with the HappyCheeks and HappyFeet, both I find extremely comfortable. At the recommendation of a friend I also added the HappySeat which inflates under your thighs for enhanced security, comfort, and flotation. I find it a welcome addition that eliminated a slight soreness I would get in my hips after an hour or two of sitting still. Now I rarely need to stretch and sometimes remain in the boat while others in my group take a break.

This boat is also super easy to roll. My few swims have been a result of panic and poor mental preparation as this boat has easily rolled up every time I have made the attempt, even when my form was not quite up to par.

Cache Lake Camping Foods: