Submitted: 11-07-2007 by Steve Tew

The Tampico 140L is my third kayak, and the one I will keep. My first was an Old Town "Rush", the second a WS Tsunami 125. As I developed my skills I wanted a more responsive, faster yak and The 140L filled the bill.

The trial float was on the intracoastal waterway at Perdido, Florida... moderate winds and light chop at times. The Tampico tracked as if on a rail. My GPS top speed (I'm in fair but not great shape) was 6.1mph. I've read a couple of other reviews that stated the Tampico was hard to turn. It is slow in turning if you stay flat, but the rounded hull allows some very predictable leans and when cutting and edging the boat comes around nicely. I could not reach a point that felt like the Hull speed had reached it's limits. It was easy to maintain a 4.1-4.3mph cruising speed. The fit and finish is superb.

The reason I could not give it a ten is that the bulkheads leaked slightly from water in the cockpit, which I fixed easily with some silicone. The seat, though comfortable, was somewhat difficult to adjust the seat back up or down. It is a great boat for the money and would say any buyer would be highly satisfied.