Submitted: 11-05-2007 by P. Flynn

CARLISLE ENCHANTMENT (GLASS) PADDLE
I bought this paddle with my Old Town Cayuga. The Enchantment is a very light 2 piece glass fiber paddle with glass blades. Approx weight just 2lbs. The blades are so thin you could read newspaper headlines through it, but it has taken some scraping of rocks in its stride (although I definitely would NOT sit on it to get in to my kayak). I have added some shrink wrap and a finger-board to the right hand shaft as the oval shape did not give me the right "feel" or grip - but this is a personal thing. The blades in my opinion give excellent catch and bite, with just enough flex to be comfortable. There is no flutter and there is enough power to sprint and catch surfing waves while being easy enough to cruise at 3 knots for hours. Best bit about this paddle is that you forget you are using it - the blades become an extension of your arms.
Only fault is the joint has become a tiny bit loose after 200km.

Definitely worth a look as an alternative to Werner and Lendl paddle. Recommended!