Submitted: 11-02-2007 by brownmattei

For what it was designed for, this boat is as good as it gets. It's my first kayak, so I wanted one that would be stable, handle well, store easily (leaned up against the garage wall), and that I could (literally) throw into the back of my pickup to hit the mountain lakes or the river through town on my way home from work. It does all of this well.

It tracks well and paddles easily, although the laws of physics limit speed. The cockpit is roomy, so neophytes like me are able to get comfortable without feeling claustrophobic. It also was tame enough that it got my wife interested in kayaking. I agree with a previous reviewer that it seems a little funny to have an access hatch to the stern when there's no bulkhead behind the seat, but what the heck, it looks cool...

My wife and I have other kayaks now, but will keep the Pamlico for friends or just to play around in. If I were rating it just as a beginner's boat, it would be a 10, but nothing is perfect...

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: