Submitted: 10-26-2007 by flatfish

The Tempest is a British style kayak, i.e. skeg not rudder, relatively narrow, semi-hard chines, moderate rocker, low rear deck for rolling. It's useful to evaluate it in that context, while recognizing the boat is aimed at kayakers with a wide range of skills in North America.

By all these measures, this is a very good kayak. It is stable, but not a barge. It is maneuverable, but tracks well. It is predictable and responsive when conditions worsen. It's small enough to be a good day boat and large enough to be a short distance overnight boat. In short, it's a very good and very versatile sea kayak. I say this owning four other kayaks, all from England, all being fiberglass.

Will I sell it? No, I value far too much its versatility, including its ability to take rough handling and remain intact. The Tempest 170 is one of my favorite kayaks.