Submitted: 10-26-2007 by aarongwood

The Gulfstream is a great boat. It does everything well.
I was concerned about the plastic bulkheads though. I had an issue in a previous boat with leaky bulkheads and found that by removing the plastic bulkheads and adhesive and re-sealing them with a generous amount of 3M 5200 marine adhesive they can be made very strong and resilient. This is quite a bit of “sweat equity” to put into such an expensive kayak but once done properly I was completely confident in the boats integrity.

Bottom line, I absolutely loved the boat, but alas at 170 lbs and a size 33 waist the cockpit was just too large for me to feel comfortable in. Foaming out the major points of contact didn’t really do the trick for me so I sold my Gulfstream and moved on.

I still find myself comparing every kayak I paddle to the Gulfstream. Even after moving on I am still amazed at how nice this boat was to paddle.

Oh Current Designs, if only you would have glassed in the bulkheads on ALL of the Gulfstreams I could have rated the boat a 9, but you didn’t, so you get an 8! (I’m reserving my 10 rating for the perfect boat which I am still searching for)