Submitted: 10-24-2007 by Cathy T.

Bought the Prodigy in July along with 2 Acadia Scouts for my kids. We had been renting kayaks for 2 years and decided it was time to bite the bullet.

I was looking for an entry-level kayak - strictly recreational (with a 6 and 8 year old), fairly lightweight (which I realize comes as a tradeoff with price), and inexpensive as this was my first foray in owning a boat. I love the Prodigy. I paid $275 for it at a local rental/boat sales operation. I have only used it on local ponds since I'm not ready for the kids to battle currents but it's a great little kayak. It handles super, very stable and comfortable (although our trips are typically no longer than 2 hours). I wish it were a little longer and lighter but I realize that 43 lbs. is lightweight as far as kayaks go.

It can be a little work to get on top of my van, especially after paddling, but I think it seems heavier since the Scout's are only 25 lbs. I definitely recommend the Prodigy. While it lacks any decking and the cup holder is a little too close to the seat it has a nice open cockpit where I can put a backpack with snacks and drinks. The footpegs are easily adjustable while on the go via a simple sliding bar.

If you're looking for an entry-level boat go with the Prodigy. You can't beat it for the price!