Submitted: 10-18-2007 by Kayaker Duane

I bought a second hand Envy after test paddling several types of small kayaks at a local store. For a recreational kayak, this one is a fantastic choice.

Superbly light, very easy for one person to load on and off the roof rack. Has great zip in the water, very light, fun and easy to paddle although you tend to zig zag a bit due to the flat, wider bottom of the kayak. There is a built-in, thin skeg molded to the bottom but it doesn't do much for tracking against waves, wind, etc. The seat is not great, but I like that the back of the seat is easily adjustable for extra back support should you want to have a mid-river coffee break. I find that the seat is moderately comfy for the first couple hours, then it's a bit of a numb bummer. The bigger the bum, the less of the numb.

My kayak has been up and down off the roofrack dozens of times over the last couple of years and it has held up fairly well. There are some scratches and small gouges from where the ties bite into the soft sides but nothing major. The nylon carrying handle keeps coming off which is a minor annoyance, more so when the kayak slips out of your hand and crashes to the ground when the handle breaks. The bottom has been scraped across stream bottoms and rocks and aside from some scratches it has really held up extremely well.

I haven't done any over nighters with the kayak but with the two sealed bulkheads, you can store enough for a one or two night stay. Keep in mind this is not a sea kayak so you won't be able to cover the same distances without a lot of paddling power. I use mine mostly on smaller creeks and rivers, although I have had it out on the great lakes a few times on calmer days.

One of the best kayaks you can get in the recreational day-trip category. But that's just my two cents.