Submitted: 05-09-2000 by Mark Dobbs

This is a beautiful, fun boat for an unbeatable price! The VR is 16' 9", 22.5" wide, and weighs 50 pounds. Front and rear bulkheads, Kajaksport hatches, rudder, and expedition deck rigging are standard. The bulkheads are fully glassed-in fiberglass, not glued-in foam or plastic. Point 65 North kayaks currently retail for $1799, well below the usual price for a fiberglass boat.

The kayak is very fast and a straight tracker. Even with a strong wind on the stern, I've only dropped the rudder to be lazy. It turns nicely when leaned, and should roll easily when the water warms up enough to try! The cockpit is plenty roomy for my 6' 0" 190 pounds, with more fidgeting space than many wider boats. I'm replacing the seat, but only because it's just a wee bit too narrow for my marathon skater's backside. I'll use the fiberglass original as the mold for a new one; it's a comfy shape.

Initial stability is low, comparable to a Necky Looksha IV or Sport. However, after the first hour in the boat I've been right at home with it, although I use more caution now looking straight up at the stars! Secondary is moderate, and I'll be working on my bracing before venturing into big waves.

This is my second boat, and I don't see a third one coming anytime soon. If you can find a dealer selling them, there's no point in plastic anymore. For the record, my old boat was a Dagger Edisto, which wouldn't turn on a lean, and wouldn't go straight in the lightest breeze. I've paddled several good expedition kayaks, and the K1 VR rates up there with the best of them.