Submitted: 10-08-2007 by bjadams44

This is my second plastic Necky as I own a Gannet that I am quite fond of as it was my learning platform. The Manitou is longer and a bit faster, it is also a bit less stable but I felt comfortable in it after just a few moments.

The Gannet tracked straight as long as I had the skeg down. The Manitou tracks like a train with or without the skeg which I use mostly now to counter wind effect. The boat moves beautifully in flat water but has also handled some significant chop and confused seas on Tampa Bay. It has a good turn of speed and allows one to cover ground quickly with a minimum of effort.

I like the seat for comfort and the drink holder but the seat adjustment straps seem needlessly complicated. The skeg that retracts into the hull is an improvement over the Gannet skeg that was hung off the stern. I do day trips so the hatches have not been of much use to me but I like having them.

In all this is a fine boat for its intended purpose of day touring and rec kayaking. It's a "9" only because so few things are perfect.