Submitted: 10-08-2007 by marvinsson

I just bought a used Sirocco, after having tried over a dozen boats, ranging from WS Pungo's to Eddyline Fathom's, and lot's in between. The big problem I encountered was my size. I'm 6' 3", weigh about 270, and have size 13 feet. Most of the listed capacities of the boats ruled them out, and were backed up when I tried them. I almost sunk a Chatham 17, just by sitting in it, much to the amusement of several onlookers!

After reading reviews, I found tow sirocco's at a local dealer, and tried one. At first, it was the tippiest boat I'd ever been in. as I've read, it likes to be moving, forward or backward. Under way, it feels great! The specs list a total capacity of 375lbs., which I'm sceptical of, but plan to test. It is, as others have mentioned, a wet ride, compared to my wife's Tempest 170. I've leaned over so far that water pours over the side, and haven't tipped.....yet. The secondary stability seems very good. I'm taking a re-entry/ self-rescue class next week, and I plan to find out exactly how far I can go before it tips.

Being a novice, I'm sure I'll get more accustomed to the boat, but even as it is, I think I made a good choice for a first boat.