Submitted: 10-05-2007 by HankP88
It's been a year since I last submitted a review of this kayak. At that time I had only had the boat for about three months, and I was a total beginner. Now, with another year's paddling under my belt, I have modified my opinion(s) on a couple of issues that may be of value to others.

Let me start by saying that I still consider myself as being new to the sport/activity, so what I'm writing is still pretty basic. As to my opinion about the Tsunami 145, I've had enough experience with it and some others to write an "update."

First, I agree with many others who have written that this boat is slow. When I first bought it I wasn't concerned and/or didn't realize the difference between paddling this kayak and some others out there over a few hours' timespan because I didn't paddle with a group or actually take a three or four hour demo day. But my son recently bought a Tsunami 140 and the difference in speed and effort required to paddle that boat compared to the 145 is significant.

Out of the water, the 145 also feels considerably heavier (even though it's not), and more ungainly to handle when loading and unloading than the 140. (Both boats in the family are the basic roto-molded plastic ones.) Once you get it going, you can move at a good clip, but if you slow down or lose your momentum for any reason, getting back up to speed takes a good effort.

On the plus side, however, the overall stability, interior volume, and seating comfort--my main reasons for buying the 145--of this boat is excellent! I would also wish that the foot pedals/pegs for the rudder controls had more travel, though. (When shopping/demoing I found the footpegs on the rudderless boats had more forward travel adjustment than boats with rudders.)

Finally, my hatch covers have not given me any problems. The front hatches have NEVER leaked; and the rear has allowed a little bit of water in only a couple of times when I didn't realize I hadn't replaced the cover completely from the previous trip.

Overall, I'm still very satisfied with my purchase and know I'll still get a lot of use out of this boat before I'd "need" to move up to something longer and leaner (although I might "want" to do so sooner than later.)