Submitted: 10-05-2007 by riveredheads

After reading about 6 different yaks I thought would meet my needs, I decided to buy the Prijon, yukon expedition. I thought the HTP type of plastic, and the molding process would be better than the other yaks I had bought, and sold due to not really caring for their performance. I Love this boat!!

I find the boat easy to paddle, 20 miles in 7 hours, on class 1 low water. Not real speedy, but handles well, turns well even without leaning, is stable, and has lot's of storage space. I found the rudder effective on flat lake water, but have not used it twice on the floats I have been on. I am not sorry I added it to my boat, but it is not needed if you paddle enough to perfect your technique. Any yak will change direction when you stop paddling, as it sets in the water not on it like a canoe, and you need to keep in mind where you are headed, and what the river is doing when you stop paddling.

I have been caught off guard and the boat does go off in a strange direction, as stated in the other reviews, but have been watching and contribute this to various currents, and hydrulics in the river. Totally my fault, not the boat,IMO. The trihedral hull with the slight rocker, combined with the stiff HTP makes the boat feel like a composite boat. Does not scratch easily. the boat does plow a bit, but a crossover boat cant have all the best features.

I mainly river tour on class 1,2,&3 , and have been working my way up to #3 , correcting my bad habits,and learning about the boats habits. It does not take long to be comfortable in this boat.

The seat back is kinda strange, as it "Pops" out of the slots that retain it. The neoprene hatch covers, while keeping the water out, are awkward to get back on, and I wish the tabs were at 2 corners instead of being centered on cover. The boat goes through the waves instead of up and over so buy a skirt, either half or full. I can lean the boat to the coaming without tipping over, but I had to paddle it for a couple of trips to get that comfortable.

I am tall, 6'5" and am quite comfortable, and can reach the footpegs while setting, to adjust. Plenty of room. I think Prijon has made a great crossover boat for those of us who do several types of water, and other than the seat back I have no complaints.

I have been paddling for 40 years and have been kayaking for 5 years. I hope this helps anyone who is considering this boat.