Submitted: 10-02-2007 by snowflakes

I thought I'd share my experience of this kayak. Bought it a couple years ago. Learned I could put a rudder on it. Not really knowing whether I should or should not put one on, I asked several people. Just about everyone, including sites I've read up on expressed the desire to not use one. So I didn't. Over time I've practiced trying to control the boat. One problem, it's higher above the water and catches the wind BIG time. Also it's only 14.5 feet long, unlike the ease a sea kayak has.

Today, I went out to have a rudder put on. Yes, I was nervous... because I still got the impression to not put one on. But you know what?? After getting my rudder on, I went out on a fairly large lake, with winds 5-20mph. Paddled for 3-1/2 hours. I c-o-u-l-d not believe the ease of steering this particular kayak!!!! ;o) Normally I would be struggling to keep my boat on a straighter course, because my hubby has the sea kayak.

Long story short, if you have a Calabria Prijon Kayak, and are planning on using it for the pleasure and enjoyment you should be getting out of it, get the rudder. I highly recommend it. If only I had known the difference it would of made for me.

The Calabria is already set-up to install a Prijon Wild Wacker Balance Wing Rudder, which is made for this particular boat.