Submitted: 10-02-2007 by softsmithjr
Current Designs Gulfstream (FG) Derek Hutchins is still THE MAN and the Gulfstream is still the "If I could only have one boat" boat.
A lot of sea kayaks will go straight when you want them to and a lot will turn easily when and where you want them to but very few sea kayaks will do both well. The Gulfstream is the exception.

I wanted a boat that was light, nimble, quick, easy to turn yet capable of supporting my weekend camping habit. Previously I had several kayaks to pick from. I finally gave up my poly CD Scirrico and my Kevlar CD Solstice and purchased the Gulfstream. I'm still having expedition kayak capability withdrawl having given up the Solstice, but the joy I get out of the turning performance and ease of use of the Gulfsteam seems to make it all worthwhile.

THIS BOAT CAN DANCE. It performs more like an extension of your mind and body than something you put in the water and sit in. It may not be the individual best boat in each category, (i.e., fastest, lightest, quickest turning, stablest, etc.) but it's definitely the best when you combine all of the categories together. It's the fastestlighteststablesteasiest turning boat I've ever paddled.