Submitted: 09-27-2007 by jv

I recently purchased the regular Otter as a first kayak and am a complete novice. Definitely is not as stable as I thought it would be from reading the reviews.

I am 6'2" and around 215... so it may just be too small for my frame. Anyone purchasing should either upgrade to the XT or at least plan on installing some sort of foot rest. It would definitely make the boat more stable (by making you more stable) and give you something to push against while paddling. I don't find the seat to be too uncomfortable without padding -- but for longer trips the padded seat on the XT would be a plus... but again you could install something yourself probably for less than the price difference in the kayaks. Each time I paddle the boat turns a little in the direction opposite... which is kind-of annoying--constantly correcting course. Maybe this is the way all kayaks are?

Overall, I would like to try a nicer kayak--if this is as stable as they come--then I probably won't continue with this endeavor for long. For the money, it was a good experiment... and I do plan to use it a few more times with installed foot rests before passing final judgment.