Submitted: 09-26-2007 by njkayakr

After much research, I chose the Pungo 120, based on many of the reviews here. After 16 outings in it since mid-June, I can rate it a 9, but it falls short of a 10 for a few reasons of which I'll get to.

First the good: It tracks extremely well. I find it very easy to maneuver, no matter what I'm trying to do. It's fast. It feels very stable, even in some rough ocean water. Last week I borrowed a Pungo 100 so my wife could join me. Eventually we swapped kayaks, and I was somewhat disappointed in the 100 compared to the 120. My wife favored the 120 also, and it was her first time out. So if we buy another one for her, it will most likely be another 120.

Here's a few things that have annoyed me so far with this kayak: the cover for the dry well is a real pain to put back on. The seatback is woefully shy of enough padding, so I end up laying a towel over the seatback. On the days I forget a towel, I'm reminded how flimsy this "Phase 3" seating system can be. Like another reviewer wrote, there are so many aftermarket seat enhancement products out there that it must be a common complaint among kayakers. Because of the large (size 7) opening, it's pretty much impossible to reach anything you have stowed under the tie-downs without leaving your seat and doing a little contortionist acts as well. Minor annoyances that can be overcome for sure, but enough to keep this below a perfect 10 or even a close 9. Will I buy another one? Most likely... unless someone else comes out with a better 12 footer!

Vasa, Inc.: