Submitted: 09-07-2007 by Bob L

When these 11'6" sit-on-tops went on clearance sale at BJ's Wholesale Club for $250 (reg $350), I could not resist buying a pair. The package included a car-top carrier kit and a 84" 2-piece aluminum paddle. The Eclipse 116 DLX seems to be sold elsewhere (and appears on the Pelican web site) as the Apex 116 DLX. It is also essentially the same as the Castaway 116 DLX minus the storage hatches and rod holders. It does have the bungee corded rear storage well and paddle holders.

Anyway, they got constant use during our lake-front vacation by my wife, two boys (ages 10 and 13) and I (6'2" 225 lbs). We were completely delighted with their rugged construction and performance. They were stable and tracked well - once we got acclimated to them. With adjustable footrests and backrest they were comfortable too. The kids were able to dump them horsing around but they had to work at it. According to my GPS I could easily maintain a 4MPH speed.

I'll probably get a bigger paddle but other family members were happy with the one included. Although rated at 350 lb capacity the scuppers won't completely drain the cockpit at more than about 225 lbs load.

Even at the regular price this is a great value for the casual kayaker.