Submitted: 09-07-2007 by Waltman

I bought a Mitchell Escape paddle after reading and re-reading the two previous reviews on here. I live in Vermont and Mitchell is made in New Hampshire, so decided to keep it local. I got this on e-bay, the only place that I could find one for the color and size I wanted at this late a time in the paddling season.

This paddle is a dream. It weighs so little. I do not know the weight, but the handle is carbon-fiber and the blaces are solid but so light I hardly feel that they are there. I have so far logged about twenty or thirty miles with it in all kinds of conditions. Last week, for instance, I was at Grafton Pond in Grafton, NH, digging in against a heavy chop and a 15 mph wind, and the Mitchell hardly seemed phased by this. I also managed to get stuck in shallow water and rocks and had to use the paddle as a pole to literally push myself out. I sometimes forget that I have it in my arms. I have gone for five mile jaunt with it and did not feel like I had hit that wall of exhaustion as one can with other paddles.

The paddle is adjustable. Mine is a 230-240. I generally keep it around 240 and it just screams the boat along. The adjustment is quite simple to figure out. I have yet to try it in Whitewater, but am sure it would handle just as well as after going into that rather considerable headwind.

This paddle is a gem. It has put my other paddles on the bench. This paddle just wants to keep going and going.