Submitted: 05-06-2000 by birren
I originally was biased against the Solo Plus on the basis that a hybrid wouldn't do anything well. But I was looking for a compromise between tracking and maneuverability, I wanted a stable solo boat with a lot of capacity, and I like to go tandem once in a while. The Solo Plus turned out to be just the ticket. My next choice would have been a Prism or a Solitude. The Solo Plus can get in tight spaces, but it takes some care. And it responds reasonably well to any stroke you give it. The seats are a little too low, especially the bow and stern, and they're fixed, which makes it hard to trim the boat. Otherwise it's a smooth operator - not fast, but moves right along - doesn't turn on a dime but is quite responsive. The catalogue's writeup is accurate - this is a competent solo boat that can go tandem in a pinch. In Tuf-Weave it's 50 pounds and easily handled by one 50-year-old.