Submitted: 09-07-2007 by davejo
I got the Maine Roll On shortly after buying my canoe - a 16' fiberglass beauty by BlueWater (sadly now defunct). Anyway, the roll on system worked great, but I still struggled with loading a bit until recently. I'm 61 and have arthritis just about everywhere & three artificial joints, so I'm not a great physical specimen. My problem was getting the canoe flipped upside-down and started on the Roll On. Recently, I decided to try using my little portaging wheels to help & now it's a piece of cake. Once I flip the canoe over and attach the portage wheels to one end, it's very simple to roll it to behind my mini-van, raise it up and get it started on the roller. Then I walk back (holding the canoe to keep it from rolling backwards), detach the wheel straps, and roll it up to the top of the van. Couldn't be easier - take it from a physical wreck - if I can do it, anyone can.