Submitted: 09-05-2007 by kangi1972

I recently bought a second-hand Solo Plus ultra light kevlar. I was sold on the light weight before I ever got to paddle it. Once I got it in the water, I was extremely happy with the way it handled. I paddled solo a half dozen times before I put it through the real test: tandem with a load into the wilderness.

I'm a pretty big guy(260#) and my partner for this trip is around 200, plus 150 lbs of gear. When we first loaded up I left the middle seat in place and loaded gear around it, that really cramped me in the rear of the boat and left me feeling pretty unstable. I was wondering if the solo plus was the right canoe for me. At the first portage we removed the center seat and were able to distribute the weight more evenly. The difference was incredible, exactly what we needed. For the remainder of the trip this boat was a pleasure to paddle, not to mention portage at a svelt 39 lbs. This boat performed so well, my beer can paddling friend is going shopping for his own kevlar model.

This boat is a very versatile craft and I would strongly recommend it, even if you are planning to tandem quite a bit and only solo once in a while.