Submitted: 09-04-2007 by wizzets

I rented a Pungo 120 on vacation, and found it to be a great rec kayak. It is very stable, and the large cockpit makes it easy to get in and out. It is also faster than I expected, considering the width.

I would not recommend this boat for a shorter paddler; if you have a short torso, you may find yourself constantly hitting the combing with your elbows. One negative I found was that the adjustable foot rest mechanism, although easy to adjust, often slipped when I applied pressure with my feet. Normally I would attribute this to the abuse one would expect a rental yak to take, but the boat appeared to be in very good condition.

Another negative was that the boat tracked a bit to the right. Still water, chop, wind coming from different directions -- varying conditions over the course of a few days of paddling -- it still tracked to the right. However, overall, a good recreational kayak.