Submitted: 08-31-2007 by Marshall

I picked up a Looksha V from REI along with an Elaho HV. The Looksha V is very stable (as stable as my Tsunami 145). The cockpit fits very nicely and it is great for a nice relaxing paddle. I found it to be a slow paddle though. It took a lot of work to get it up to speed, and then it dropped speed very quickly once I stopped. Maybe I am down on the speed because I am comparing it to the Elaho HV, which is very fast and paddles almost effortlessly. The other thing I don't like about it is that it sits high out of the water and wind cocks with the slightest breeze. Using the rudder is almost a must with any wind. Secondary stability appears to be good, but it is a dog when it comes to turning.

The flip side is that my wife loves it. She is a slow, see the sights kind of paddler and it fits her perfect also. Also, it seem to be a very high quality build, though heavy at 65 lbs. It is a good kayak for the price we paid and we would have had to jump a few hundred more dollars to look at anything else comparable like a Tempest, so we are content with it.

New York Kayak Co.: