Submitted: 08-29-2007 by Marshall

I ordered a plastic factory seconds Elaho HV and a Looksha V from REI. I am 5'9" and weigh 200 lbs. I love and hate the Elaho HV at the same time. What I love - it is fast, maneuverable and fun. It paddles almost effortlessly and can really travel. What I hate is the lack of initial stability. It has two small extra rockers on each side of the bottom (probably where they come up with the diamond hull description), and it will only ride on one or the other, but it is almost impossible to get it to ride in the middle. What this also means is that it won't track well either without the rudder. Looking at the hull, the center part is slightly concave inward, and I wonder if that is a defect and might be the cause of the problems (it is a factory second). I don't know, but I will be taking it back to the store.

I am a good kayaker, and this one should not be a problem for me. By way of comparison, for those who are interested, the Looksha V is a totally different boat. Very stable, very slow, sits much higher out of the water and wind cocks very easily. I called Necky when I ordered these two and the man said that the Looksha V was similar to but an improved version of the Elaho HV, with better stability. He was totally wrong, the hulls are designed very differently. There is nothing similar about these two kayaks.