Submitted: 08-29-2007 by AM

I have been trying many different kayaks and finally, I bought Perception Avatar 15.5 a couple of months ago. I have been taking it out for almost twice a week.

The boat has a little problem in tracking (which could have been my paddling that needs improvements), but once I put the skeg down, it run straight as if I drew a line with a straight edge. It is very easy to turn, especially without the skeg. It is quite a fast boat. Great secondary stability, I can do edging and leaning easily (till the water almost over the gunwhale). I am 5' 4", 145 lbs, the boat (low volume) is perfect for a small paddler like me. I was once out in a shallow river with some beaver dams(not suppose to go there with a sea kayak), and I paddle fast and over a beaver dam with a 4 feet drop on the other side... boy that was fun. The boat is fast and nimble enough to do that.

Anyway, I love the boat, it performs just like what they have said in their web site and I will keep it for a long time. I give 9 out of 10 cause it has a bit of difficulties running straight without a skeg, although it could have been my paddling problem.

I just want to add a thing to help our fellow kayaker "RP" (Sept. 2005 review)
I had the same problem with the skeg on my Avatar 15.5 - It won't comes down. I flip the boat and open up 1 screw on the skeg, pour water on the skeg housing until almost full, pull the skeg up and down a few times to let some sand and dirt out in the water, drain the water to get all dirt out. Then pull the bungee cord out, tie another notch next to the original one, make sure the new notch is tight, then cut off the original notch, put everything back in, put the screw back in, and done.
This way I made the bungee cord a bit shorter and it will give a bit more spring effect when you try to put the skeg down. It works great on my boat. Good luck.