Submitted: 08-29-2007 by kelly1369

This is a review of the SVX200 2003 model which is still available out there and one that I recently purchased. I had one of the newer single SVX100DS models but it lacked durability and I was able to get my hands on the SVX200 for the same price. If you can get your hands on the older 2003 models of the XK1 or XK2 you'll have a stronger boat. The zodiac style material hold up to a hard life on the river. It holds 650 lbs so it rides fairly high and should have no problem with two people. I recently put 350lbs in one and saw no ill effects.

The major draw backs are its length, weight, and skegs. At thirteen and a half feet, it lacks a certain amount of maneuverability. It weighs 40 lbs dry but considerably more when you actually have to carry it any distance. The tracking fins (skegs) on the bottom are bound and determined to find every rock they can. Its blue and white coloring are a bit better than the typical yellow of the newer model. The carrying bag is a joke but it is just about too heavy to want to haul around anyway. I inflate it and throw it on a kayak cart which fits in the boat for the ride down river. I've had a minor piece of rubber require re-gluing and the foot pegs could use a bit longer plastic shaft so they don't fall out of the straps that hold them.

All in all I give it a 8 and only detract for weight and for not having thigh straps. The cheap price cancels out the cheap carrying bag.

Botetourt County Tourism: