Submitted: 08-28-2007 by JLB

I recently purchased two Old Town Voyager kayaks for the family. These are our first kayaks and they are fantastic. We have used them on Lake Ontario, the St. Lawerence Seaway, ponds and canals. The stability is amazing as we have encountered 1.5 - 2 foot waves and had no problem. The straight line tracking is also excellent. The slightly oversized cockpit makes for easy entry/exit and they are easy to fish from. The built in handles are very comfortable and are welcome for the longer portages.

I previously owned an Old Town Pathfinder canoe and find the kayak much easier to keep on course. Being of single layer polyethylene construction they are relatively light at 45 lbs. making them easy to load and port. However, SLP is the least stiff of the kayak and canoe materials and will deform if stored or transported incorrectly. Ours have been mis-shapen but have come back into shape over time.

Also of note is that we had to return one of our kayaks due to the top front of the boat being thin and unable to hold its shape, especially when it got hot in the sun - apparently a manufacturing issue. The other kayak was fine. We exchanged the kayak the next day without any problem.

These kayaks have been a blast and I highly recommend the Voyager. We wanted entry level kayaks and for the money ($379 ea.) we couldn't be happier.