Submitted: 08-24-2007 by sinbad

I now have 3 Altos. They are the perfect day boat. Very fast. The narrow width and lighter volume make all the difference. A lot of people complain about tracking. Mind you I now have 7 boats and have paddled many others. I have no problems getting the boat to go where I want. Be it in waves, flat water or mangrove tunnels. The rear of the boat is flatter and has less keel. This may explain some of novices experiences in poor tracking. But in fact is designed to allow the boat to plane and turn much faster. The cockpit can be tight for someone of my size 5'10" but once you are in you have very good bracing.

Seriously, I rent these boats to beginners and take them on 10 mile trips the first outting. Even small women can handle the boat well. The almost 16ft length puts it up there with touring boats in potential speed. And the smaller volume narrower width and lighter weight make it easier to keep up there.