Submitted: 08-20-2007 by magooch

I bought my Loon without benefit of a demo; normally I wouldn’t do this, but the dealer just wasn’t set up for it. I did do some research on the Internet and read every review I could find. In the end, the price I paid was just too good to pass up.

The Loon, of course is the quintessential recreational kayak; it doesn’t pretend to be anything else — like some boats that are called transitional. At first, I thought that as a recreation kayak and with Old Town’s description of the boat in their brochure that the boat would have limited capabilities. I have to admit that it took a while before I realized the true potential of the boat, but as my experience progressed, my confidence in the Loon increased exponentially.

Stability is the Loon’s strongest suit, but seaworthiness, versatility and fun are all part of the package. I think the Loon is the all-time easiest kayak to get in and out of and with the adjustable seat it should fit just about everyone.

When I want to go exploring where I might be in and out of the boat a lot and don’t want to be concerned with balance, my sea kayak stays home and the Loon gets the job. The 138 Loon isn’t going to break any speed records, but with the right paddle/paddler it moves right along. I have no qualms about taking the Loon just about anywhere I take the sea kayak.

Along with its other assets, the Loon passes muster on specific features that I think are a must. The Loon’s hull and deck are solid and rigid; its coaming is sturdy and the boat’s ends are fine (as opposed to blunt, or rounded). And the whole thing looks right.

The 138 Loon for me is indispensable and as an all around recreation kayak, I give it a 10.