Submitted: 08-20-2007 by GAK

Update #4 from GAK on StraitEdge 2.
Stability, stability, stability…….

Having the Kayak On the Sailboat (29ft)’ Update:
Having finally taped over all the sharp spots on the topsides rigging, I am now able to inflate/deflate the straitedge 2 safely on the foredeck- this is much easier and faster than being limited to the cockpit for inflation (see previous posts). I now deflate and drop the kayak straight down the forward hatch; first thing I do when going on board is to pull kayak out of hatch, pump it up on the foredeck, toss over side- takes around fifteen minutes. Very convenient and easy.

Have now towed this thing behind the sailboat for over 120 miles with absolutely no problems. It cuts through/over the water so easily I seriously doubt it has any real effect on sailing performance. When sailing singlehanded out of sight of land and other boats I drop in a gallon bottle of water, the paddle and an abandonship bag; the extras are still light enough not to put any strain when towed; the Velcro attaching the carry handles is surprisingly strong.

Other Uses for the StraitEdge 2 that are Not in the owners manual….

1. Sleeping- as I have stated in previous reviews, this kayak is extraordinarily comfortable- every single time I have gone out on this thing, somewhere along the trip I will find myself lying back and taking a nap….
  2. Lunch Break with-a-View- sitting sideways, both feet dangling over same side, back supported comfortably, watching the boats go by, as you munch yer lunch ….
  3. Lazy Snorkeling- lying across kayak, legs out one side, head and shoulders hanging over the other side in the water, watching the sea life as you drift along…..
  4. Bathing- for those of us who can’t afford a shower on their sailboat; I found that by fully deflating the floor and then opening all the scuppers (leave them open) you end up with a kayak full of water- instant floating bathtub; need to secure kayak at both ends because of the added weight/pressure of the water. Grab a cool drink, soak and watch the sunset….very civilized after a hard day of paddling.…..
A very Versatile piece of equipment...