Submitted: 08-18-2007 by fishingcat
I just got a new Yakpads SOT Paddle Saddle with the optional mesh zippered seat back pouch. My hopes of a seat that agreed with my body were surpassed!

The pouch holds everything I need it to (sunglasses, four fly reels/spools, headlamp) with room left over; it not only has two water bottle holders with elastic straps to keep the bottles in, but two bottles were supplied.

On to the seat itself. Besides being very comfortable on my seat bones ("What seat bones?" I wondered as I paddled back hours later ... ), it also holds my body heat. The first time I was out with the Paddle Saddle, I reflected that my feet were a bit chilled, and then I noticed that my butt was a very comfortable temperature.

The mesh back of the seat doesn't hold heat -- a real plus in warm weather. The sides of the seat hug my hips securely without chafing, and the Paddle Saddle, once placed, does not scoot or slide AT ALL -- welcome features that make me and my SOT that much more unified.

I was able to adjust the back support just right -- no more aching back! -- and it fit just under my PFD instead of pushing it up or creating a non-supporting space in the lumbar area like other seats I've tried to date.

Both the Paddle Saddle and back pouch appear to have high-quality workmanship and materials. My only quibble is that the excess front adjustment straps end up next to the snap. As a flyfisher, I'd prefer the excess hung close to the seat back instead, more out of the way of flyline on the boat deck, but for just paddling it hasn't been a problem. Because Yakpads was not trying to create a fishing-specific seat, I have to give it a 10 because as a SOT paddling seat, it IS a 10!