Submitted: 08-17-2007 by RDAnys

This is my second kayak, the first being a catamaran fishing kayak bought for it's incredible stability; it couldn't be rolled. So I was ready for less stability but I didn't want to spend more than the $450 it was selling for at West Marine, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

WOW! This has got to be the best bang for the buck out there! The only other kayaks I was considering, given that I wanted stability, a comfortable seat, and a low price, were the Wilderness Pungo 120, the Wilderness Pamlico 120, and the Perception Sundance 12.

The Mainstream Patriot doesn't have the great Stage 3 seating of the Pungo, but it's half the price. The Sundance and Pamlico are very, very similar to the Patriot, but about $200 more. The only gripe I have with the Patriot is the webbing strap that holds the adjustable angle seat back in place ripped off its screw mount on the first trip out, so I had to tie it in place until they send me another one. Also, on 3 hours trips I have made so far, I have had to stop about every hour to re-cinch it tighter. I'm going to look into using a fixed length webbing to eliminate this problem.

Otherwise, the Patriot tracks true, it's fast enough for me to keep up easily with my much more experienced kayak buddies with much more expensive and fast kayaks, and it is quite stable for most conditions. Also, the weight is not too bad at 50lbs to stick in the back of my car with the seats folded down, or on top if we are hauling more than 1 yak. Buy this kayak and you won't be sorry.