Submitted: 08-17-2007 by KM

I bought my canoe several years back, it is the second canoe that I have owned, the first being a 17' Coleman Canoe. I bought a Dick's Sporting Goods Special Pelican Explorer DLX, (I love this canoe). It has brought me and my family into many adventures exploring, and I would recommend this canoe to any enthusiast who is on a limited budget.

I don't understand the mentality behind paying an outrageous price for something just because of the brand name, if you are a professional who can afford $400 to $700 for a canoe then go for it, but don't down a canoe just because it is cheap.

The Explorer does have some issues, I personally don't care for the cooler in mine, I would have rather had a dry storage and a lower middle seat. For all of you people looking to by a canoe, ask yourself these simple questions. What is your experience level? How often do you plan to use it? Where do you plan to use it? Who do you plan to use it with?

If, like me, you have some experience (15-20 years of paddling swamps, rivers, lakes, ocean, and creeks), and you are looking to share good times with family and friends, buy a Pelican. If you don't have any experience go someplace that rents canoes or does guided tours, to see if you will like it, before you buy. Regardless of what the professionals say, or the people that can go out and buy something have a hard time assembling it, and instead of taking it back just cut it in half and trash it (how stupid was this person?), Buying a canoe comes down to budget, personal preference, and experience of the end user.

If I was to decide to buy another canoe it would definitely be a Pelican. Keep up the good work PI.

Silverfish